canberrabirds

Shags

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Shags
From: John Harris <>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 01:14:52 +0000

Well the ‘me too’ syndrome has clicked in! What we have of course is the frequent disparity between common names and taxonomic standard names.

As a boy, I knew both cormorant and shag as bird names. For us boys mucking around, maybe fishing but generally getting up to no good in and around the creeks and wetland, , birds and bird behaviour were our interest and fascination but we were quite unscientific.

I think we called cormorants shags if they hung out their wings to dry. So little black cormorant of course but we weren’t particular. I think we probably called darters ‘shag’ too for the same reason. I think we called the LP Comorant a cormorant.. For what it’s worth…..John