canberrabirds

Bassian Thrush fledgings at ANBG

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Bassian Thrush fledgings at ANBG
From: Wallaces <>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 04:44:37 +0000

On Monday two Bassian Thrush fledglings were located at the ANBG.  The nest I reported with a female being fed on the 13 August (http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds/2018-08/msg00108.html ) contained two well developed chicks on 10 September (see https://www.hbw.com/ibc/1518240 ) . The nest still contained chicks the next day (seen by Alison) but was empty on 17 September and  two fledglings were located, one 70m from the nest (sections 46 and 47) and the other 130m (section 1, see https://www.hbw.com/ibc/1518241 ). It is possible that the one 130m away is from a second nest as it stayed around a bush where a two adults had been seen several times previously (including at the time the female was sitting on the known nest) and a nest was suspected but not physically located.

Talking to Andrew Cockburn recently, he indicated that Bassian Thrush nestlings/fledglings rarely survive due to predation, mostly by currawongs (I hope I have not misrepresented what he said). Given this and that this year seems to be a big year for Bassian Thrush at the ANBG, it would good if any sightings of any fledglings could be reported on the chatline. However, please be careful not to attract currawongs to the young (one was watching us carefully on 17 September).

Steve