canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Goshawk eats prey in suburban backyard - pics

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Goshawk eats prey in suburban backyard - pics
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 23:25:15 +0000

I believe this is a female Collared Sparrowhawk, going by the head.  References to ‘brow’ can be misleading.  I would describe the goshawk eye as  typically ‘deeper set’ by contrast with the shallow-set or ‘pigeon eye’ or ‘button eye’ of the sparrowhawk.   Both species can show a ridge above the eye which varies among individuals (according to age?).  This is apparent in the below where only those in top row are goshawks.