canberrabirds

Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Birds of the ACT - Two centuries of change A que

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Birds of the ACT - Two centuries of change A question
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 07:10:48 +0000
Banded Lapwing is very interesting in my Carwoola context.

A short while after moving here i became involved with the Atlas of NSW Wildlife which had a record of Banded Lapwing on the shores of the Mighty Molonglo on the Western Hoskinstown Plain.

I poo-poohed that idea as no-one I knew had seen them anywhere near there.  About 2 years later a friend reported them in a lucerne crop possibly 3km from the Molonglo site in the centre of the Plain.  Before the lucerne got higher than the birds we counted 45 at one time.

Then they disappeared before reappearing (up to about 17 from memory) on the Eastern side of the Plain where they were seen over a couple of years before vanishing again.

Last year 4 turned up on the Eastern side of the Plain and bred, raising 2 chicks to fledging.  They have been sighted regularly all this year.

I think I would put their status here as "Regular Visitor".

For the ACT which is the ambit of the tome in question (at least 7 km away as the Lapwing flies) "Rare, breeding visitor" seems to be appropriate.