canberrabirds

Wednesday Walk to West Hume

To: COG List <>, COG Wednesday Walkers <>, gang-gang <>
Subject: Wednesday Walk to West Hume
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 06:46:49 +0000
The editors of Gang-gang may wish to use the following as the trip report.

28 members and guests gathered at the appointed spot and time.  It was to say the least a little draughty and the prospects for a long list were not great.  The aim was to circle the area, expecting this to cover about 5km (in fact we did 4.74km).

We began by touring some paddocks which produced 5 Australian Pipits (surprisingly the only ones we saw all day) some Red-rumped Parrots and 3 Common Starlings.

The first pond encountered had 1 Coot, 2 Pacific Black Ducks and 1 Little Pied Cormorant as visible waterfowl.  It is possible that others were lurking in the reeds but such hypothetical birds do not get counted.

Skirting an industrial site we entered a large wooded paddock where Eastern and Crimson Rosellas were added to the list.  The former were closely inspecting a nest hollow.  Common Mynahs and Noisy Miners were both in the paddock, enjoying the good live and dead-with-lots of -hollows  eucalypts.

Passing the site of the former homestead 38 Australian Wood Ducks were grazing on the roadside before flying to another pond.  We then progressed up an "improved" Dogtrap Gully without seeing a bird.  The best birding was along the former Cooma railway line  where we found a pair of Scarlet Robins, at least 3 Speckled Warblers and 20+ Red-browed Finches.

We totaled 31 species which was felt to be quite good given the revolting weather.

For the forthcoming trip[s section of Gang-gang
Next month's Wednesday walk will be to Red Hill.  Meet at 9:00am on 19 September on Buxton Street.