canberrabirds

Fw: [canberrabirds] Re: Large group of roosting Brown Thornbills

To: "" <>
Subject: Fw: [canberrabirds] Re: Large group of roosting Brown Thornbills
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 22:56:08 +0000

Sent: Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:17 AM

Yes, a very remarkable observation indeed Liam,

I note HANZAB says records of flocks are rare, but that small flocks, exceptionally up to 12 birds, have been observed, usually in the non-breeding season.  It also says they roost at night, in shrubs in understorey within territory, usually as a pair.

Interesting to me is how they are all very close together which contrasts with the Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Red-rumped Parrots, Satin Bowerbirds and Magpie-larks which I’m more familiar with, as they seem to do it singly or in pairs, even though there may be multiple birds in the roost shrub/tree/site.

Regards

Jack Holland

Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 8:14 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. As a young birder, I am especially appreciative of the advice. We will head back out at dusk over the next few nights and try to see them again.

Regards

Liam