canberrabirds

Chatline etiquette

To: COG Chat <>
Subject: Chatline etiquette
From: John Harris <>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 13:01:23 +0000
I think it was I who, in commenting on a posting about kookaburras, inadvertently began the discussion of common and uncommon etc. I was not and would not ever discourage anyone from reporting any bird no matter how common. I was actually genuinely interested in the abundance of kookaburras and I genuinely wondered if the fact that I heard them so regularly here was deluding me into not realising that they might have been declining. Thank you for the helpful replies.
I did not intend either to begin the time worn discussion about abundance terminology. I am perfectly happy 99% of the time with common, uncommon and rare. If we want to be precise we can use modifiers like very common or becoming less common in the south of Canberra or whatever. That is what words are for. If it really matters we can be mathematical and use statistics.