canberrabirds

Volunteer(s) wanted - Thick-billed Grasswren surveys in central NSW

To: "" <>
Subject: Volunteer(s) wanted - Thick-billed Grasswren surveys in central NSW
From: "Hawkins, Brian" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 02:49:02 +0000

Dear all,

My work (Eco Logical) has got funding to search for a subspecies of the Thick-billed Grasswren (subspecies inexpectatus) that is thought to be extinct.  Subspecies inexpectatus is known from two locations: Mossgiel (near Ivanhoe) and the lower Namoi River (NW of the Pilliga), with the last record from 1904.

I’m organizing a trip leaving from Canberra on Monday August 20, returning Friday August 24, and focusing on the southern parts of the bird’s range: I’m planning on targeting areas of chenopod shrubland in Willandra National Park and Lachlan Valley National Park.

Steven Debus is organizing a second trip departing from Armidale and targeting areas of chenopod shrubland in Narran Lake Nature Reserve, Culgoa National Park, Ledknapper Nature Reserve, Gundabooka National Park and Toorale National Park and State Conservation Area.

The more eyes and ears, the better our chances of finding the birds (if they’re still out there), so we’re seeking volunteers.

The ideal volunteer would be:

A capable driver

Happy to do long days

Happy roughing it a bit

A birdwatcher (experience with Grasswrens an advantage)

Eco Logical can pay for meals (but you’ll need to bring your own swag/tent).

Please email me on this address if you’re interested (or have suggestions about good places to look for the bird).

Best regards,

Dr Brian Hawkins

Senior Ecologist, Canberra Region

2/11 London Circuit

Canberra, ACT, 2601
T +61 2 6103 2312

cid:<script language=m("01D31280.355E6950","image001.jpg");">