canberrabirds

RE: Species numbers

To: 'Bill Hall' <>
Subject: RE: Species numbers
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 00:36:30 +0000

There are a range of variables included in the question, as already suggested by others, plus the obvious ones, as in to what extent do you wish to include the many rare visitor species in the count or just regular residents and migrants, and what constitutes a species e.g. the recent one, do they wish to regard the Shrike-tit as 1 or 3. I would suggest you could come up with an approximate number. So if your colleague has any intention at coming up with an accurate number, then it would need to define the question better.

Going beyond that, you could find an answer fairly simply from 3 different books that are based in those three regions. However I notice your question is only about passerines. That makes it harder if you just want to get an answer from a book, because I doubt that books will give that information in regard to just one order of birds. Although easier if you want to do a manual count, as something less than half as many to count. Most of the birds that occur as vagrants at that geographic level are not passerines (they are sea birds or waders).

Philip