canberrabirds

Satin Bowerbirds - Yellow and Blue Objects

To: 'Richard Lane' <>, 'Canberra Ornithologists Group' <>
Subject: Satin Bowerbirds - Yellow and Blue Objects
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:57:18 +0000

Interesting question. I am guessing that the reason is, for most of our history, Satin Bowerbirds are forest birds, (as are Crimson Rosellas which are the common source of blue feathers), whereas Sulphur-crested Cockatoos are open country birds. They would not often be together, let alone in an area where there are many people to watch them. Modern Canberra puts all three together in large numbers. This is likely to be a new situation. I suspect that is the main reason.

Philip