canberrabirds

Re: Morning birds

To: 'Geoffrey Dabb' <>, 'canberrabirds' <>
Subject: Re: Morning birds
From: Dr David Rosalky <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 05:15:44 +0000

While SBBs are getting coverage, I will add my observation of this morning.

I frequently see SBBs in my street – up to five at a time.  Nearly always green birds but in recent weeks a couple of blue birds.

So, today.  I saw a blue bird with a green bird high in a cedar.  The green bird (I cannot discern the female from immature males, but behaviour suggests female) was carrying a white feather and communing at close quarters with the blue bird.  Then she (?) flew off with feather firmly held.

At that point I noticed another bird at the back of the tree which came to the top – another blue bird.  The two stood together until one bird made a half-hearted move towards the other who flew off.  He flew straight into a bush into which I have seen SBBs disappear on several occasions.  I cannot see any obvious evidence of a nest or bower or roost, but clearly the bush has a role in the local population’s behaviour.  It may be a continuing roost.

David Rosalky

Deakin