canberrabirds

Question about Golden Whistlers

To: Michael Lenz <>, chatline <>
Subject: Question about Golden Whistlers
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:02:40 +0000
Michael, I’ve had very few Golden Whistlers of any kind in my local patch
from the start of the 2017-2018 year, with only the single bird last autumn/spring and only recorded in 5 GBS weeks this autumn/winter so far.  In my surveys of Cooleman Ridge and Narrabundah Hill this year I’ve only managed a single bird at each.  There were none recorded on the Narrabundah Hill COG walk I led on 31 March.

However, based on the eBird map there seems to be quite a few recorded elsewhere this year .  This underlines the conclusions I often reach after reading each year’s Annual Bird Report, ie the bird species I see locally don’t necessarily reflect those seen by other observers in other parts of the ACT.

Regards

Jack Holland

Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 12:16 PM
Subject: [canberrabirds] Question about Golden Whistlers

This autumn/winter I have hardly seen a juvenile Golden Whistler, most birds were ad. females and males.

I have no doubt that other observers will have seen juveniles. My question is whether juveniles are present this season in smaller numbers than, for example in the previous year ??
If this were the case it would indicate that the species had a poor 2017/18 breeding season.

Michael Lenz