canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Another large Corella Flock

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Another large Corella Flock
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 01:54:19 +0000

This is the location I mentioned on 29 June.  The below cropped photo shows the extent of the relocated flock with a wide-angle lens.  I then photographed sections of it with a full frame camera and 300mm lens (similar resolution to above photo, showing extent of concentration and individual birds).  I eliminated the overlaps and counted each bird. The result was 509, with an estimated up to 100 out of view over the rise, based on seeing the birds in flight relocating.  I am not questioning Ryu’s higher estimate, as that is more like the numbers seen in flight a few weeks ago. The lights of the baseball arena (home of the Canberra Cavalry)  can be seen nearby, and the large roosting eucs near the Boomanulla sports complex are in the background.  The photos were taken from the verge of Hindmarsh Drive.  Fencing and private land prevents access to this area from the Boomanulla side.