canberrabirds

Thornbills

To: 'Canberrabirds' <>
Subject: Thornbills
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 03:39:48 +0000

Paul wrote “and the odd thornbill here and there” Michael wrote: “We failed to find any mixed feeding flocks. Overall small birds were largely absent or only present in small numbers.”

Most of what little birding I am doing has been “a walk around the block” (Most of which is obviously outside my GBS). I have been surprised at how many thornbills there have been around my area in the past few weeks. Not that this is odd for winter in the suburbs. Mainly large mixed flocks of Striated & Brown Thornbills & Weebills, including curiously several occurrences of about 15 to 30 Brown Thornbills within about 3 or 4 adjacent trees. Usually Brown Thornbills are in pairs, rather than flocks. One flock of about 25 Yellow-rumped Thornbills seen over a few days, within my GBS Site 4 weeks ago. A collection of about 30 Buff-rumped Thornbills near the Kambah Pool car park 2 weeks ago.

Philip