canberrabirds

Australasian Grebes

To: chatline <>
Subject: Australasian Grebes
From: John Harris <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 06:02:06 +0000

A large flock of Australasian Grebes has gathered at the southern end of Gungahlin Pond. They are tightly bunched together and numbers are hard to count as they constantly dive and resurface but there are more than 30. They are accompanied by about 6 Eurasian Coots, for whatever reason. Yesterday I wondered if they were packed together feeding on a school of fish to which the Coots may have been attracted but today they are still there so I think they are simply flocking together. Is this unusual? I have not seen so many together before in Gungahlin ponds and lakes etc.