canberrabirds

Apologies to our resident cartoonist.

To: "" <>
Subject: Apologies to our resident cartoonist.
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 01:19:20 +0000

And a Helmeted Honeyeater is a Helmeted Honeyeater, whilst at the same time is a Yellow-tufted Honeyeater, whilst at the same time is a honeyeater, whilst at the same time is a passerine, whilst at the same time is a bird, whilst at the same time is a vertebrate, no matter what the locals call it. Mark’s first point is simply that the Helmeted Honeyeater is now mostly listed as a subspecies of Yellow-tufted Honeyeater. (Will that change again? If the species continues to evolve separately, in a few thousand years it surely will change). Of many species considered as having various subspecies, many of those subspecies are given distinctive English names (Crimson Rosella, Yellow Rosella, various forms of tiger, etc), although most are not.

It all depends what taxon you choose to take an interest in. The cartoon equally applies to all, in that a man might reasonably wish to show Beryl a Helmeted Honeyeater as a point of excitement, even though Beryl may well be familiar with and disinterested in the type of Yellow-tufted Honeyeater we have here. If I go to the area, I like to attempt to see Helmeted Honeyeater because they are different. Whether I call it Helmeted Honeyeater or helmeted subspecies of Yellow-tufted Honeyeater is trivial.

I miss typed earlier: “large” should be “largely”.

Philip