canberrabirds

Combative Crested Pigeons

To: 'John Layton' <>, 'Canberra birds' <>
Subject: Combative Crested Pigeons
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 02:18:29 +0000

I am curious to know (as I don’t) if this relates to a problem of lack of sexual dimorphism. Can it be that a male is approaching a female for sex and she is not interested and this is the reaction. Or more likely is it that a male is approaching a male for sex thinking it is a female. So both likely thought the other was a likely female. In what John described I think that is what happens because the initial behaviour is both birds were initiating a sexual contact. If there truly is no outward sign of gender, there is no way to tell, other than by the reaction it gets.

Normally a disinterested bird will simply move away (you see that all the time too) but some may attack in response.

Philip