canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Return of the Quiz answers

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Return of the Quiz answers
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 23:25:04 +0000

From: Geoffrey Dabb [
Sent: Thursday, 17 May 2018 9:04 AM

Not a lot of entries.  The predicted average score was two, which Philip exceeded by one.

1.       My sister who lives in Vancouver sent me cuttings from the local press, which reveal Vancouver has a more serious peafowl issue than Canberra.  A homeowner was in trouble for felling a tree that had 40 peafowl roosting there.  Helpfully the Vancouver Sun explained: “Peacocks aren’t a wild species such as bears …  The distinction is of some relevance.  I’m sure the homeowner would have thought twice about felling the tree if it had bears in it.

2.       Can you believe ‘Confuciusornis’?  The Woolworths card has little information on this creature, but there is much to learn if you choose to Google it.

3.       Black-fronted Dotterel, much nearer to hand than the Early Cretaceous Yixian and Jiufotang Formations of China , in fact from our own Kelly Swamp.

4.       Superb Lyrebird, now making itself heard in the nearby hills.  This is an old photo from David and Kathy Cook’s property down past Bombala.  Larger pic below.

5.       The Rouen Duck, a bird I associate with sightseeing around the French countryside.  More information on this chap below, from my little book on domestic duck varieties.