canberrabirds

LIST OF BIRDS of THE ACT - Mathews 1943

To: John Layton <>
Subject: LIST OF BIRDS of THE ACT - Mathews 1943
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 05:50:40 +0000
Steve Wilson reports Song Thrushes were imported from NZ and bred on Red Hill.  He regarded them (in 1999) as locally extinct.

On 4 April 2018 at 15:39, John Layton <> wrote:

I recently acquired an original of the above leaflet and the final entry on the list piqued my curiosity viz, Thrush  .......  Turduserictorum (sic). I had a vague memory of seeing the name Turdus ericetorum somewhere so did a bit of searching, and concluded that T. ericetorum is the Song Thrush, currently T. philomelos?

And what transpired some 75 years ago? Did the venerable Mathews mistake the Bassian Thrush for the Song Thrush?

The foregoing may be well known to the cognoscenti of COG but I’ve never seen the 1943 ACT bird list before.

John Layton

Holt