canberrabirds

Mt Majura Woodland SUrveys

To: "" <>
Subject: Mt Majura Woodland SUrveys
From: "" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 02:35:56 +0000

Mt Majura Woodland Surveys were conducted today in cool overcast conditions. Most sites were fairly quiet in terms of smaller birds, with highlights being a Scarlet Robin and Varied Sittellas in one site. A large mixed feeding flock was spotted just outside this site which had many small species not recorded in the site itself. No Speckled Warblers were found, which is a bit unusual.

But the real highlight of the morning were Swift Parrots. Three birds were initially spotted while we were doing a survey and were hunted off by Noisy Miners. We then spent another hour trying to find them to make sure of our ID and found a group of at least 12 feeding on a flowering Eucalypt near a small dam, in between sites.

Kathy Walter, John Goldie and Duncan McCaskill