canberrabirds

Molonglo Reach and East Basin

To: "" <>
Subject: Molonglo Reach and East Basin
From: Rod Mackay <>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 13:22:46 +0000
Last Friday I pedalled my Hobie kayak along the same route outlined by
Jack Holland in the March GangGang (with the exception of the
Jerrabomberra Creek bit) - liked it so much I repeated it on Saturday
and again today.  Water still chocolate coloured following the rain but
the glassy reflective surface made for visually pleasant surroundings.

Birds sighted were probably much the same as encountered by Jack's
party, with a maximum of about 10 Darter - but nesting of the species in
this area remains a non event (though if I recall correctly there were a
couple of nests there on the Blitz weekend).  There was only one little
pied cormorant, near the "No watercraft" sign at Jerrabomberra Creek.
The Reed Warblers were present but not al all vocal, however one was
seen attending what appeared to be a viable nest in a blackberry thicket
overhanging the water.  Others of note were a Sacred Kingfisher, one
adult and one juvenile Dollarbird, approx 8 Dusky Woodswallows, 30+
Welcome Swallows perched on a dead tree in the middle of the river, a
few Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Grey Butcherbird heard, 2 Spotted Doves
still in the vicinity, plus an estimated 350+ Starlings. And the Geese
are still there, totally unconcerned by the comings and goings of
canoeists and kayakers.  But the real highlight was provided on Saturday
by the birds of the Royal Australian Air Force, firstly the FA-18s,
closely followed by a huge C-17 Globemaster which looked like it was
about to take the top off Mount Pleasant. A few minutes later it passed
right over my head, this time looking like it was going to take the tops
off the Duntroon poplars!  You never know what you're going to encounter
on your next birding expedition - wow!

Cheers  Rod Mackay

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>