canberrabirds

Urbanised Tawny Frogmouth

To: 'Elizabeth Keen' <>, "" <>
Subject: Urbanised Tawny Frogmouth
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 23:35:21 +0000

Or this little poem may help:

Tawny Frogmouth flying by

Sent me a message from the sky

As I wipe it from my eye

Thank god that cows don’t fly

From: Philip Veerman [ Sent: Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 10:55 PM          To: 'Elizabeth Keen'            Cc:
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Urbanised Tawny Frogmouth

The way to answer that is to find known Tawny Frogmouth roosts, preferably with the bird still there and looking under it. Otherwise it is guessing. I can’t say I recall any particularly splattery droppings under them. There is a well known t shirt that purports to label different bird poos, but it is in jest. A set of particularly splattery droppings can most obviously be due to many birds roosting at the site, so group roosters: starlings, mynas, many parrots, etc.

Philip

From: Elizabeth Keen [ Sent: Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 7:37 AM      To: Steve Read  Cc: Alan Ford;

Am I right in thinking that Tawny Frogmouths leave particularly splattery droppings? We sometimes find large splatters in the garden (eg on the water-tank, on the roof of the car . .) Might these be a sign that a TF has visited from the adjacent woodland, from where we’ve heard them call?

Libby