canberrabirds

Large flock of House Sparrows

To: 'Canberra birds' <>
Subject: Large flock of House Sparrows
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 03:57:59 +0000

Sorry one other point, in case someone dredges up this one. In the early years of the GBS there was one data entry of I think 300 House Sparrows on one week, one site. This was in the early days of the GBS, before any database existed and calculations were limited to single year single species and any data input entry could only be fixed by retyping the entire line in that horrible data input system that we had back then. Anyway there was a long string of counts of 30 on this chart, of which one was accidentally typed in as 300. The error was included in the ABR stats for the year and found (I think not by me) only after The GBS Report was published.  Because the species was common then, the statistical implications of the error were not overly great, just a fake slight bump in the graphs. Note that for the first 14 years it was the second most common species but it has since declined.

The only other data error I know of in The GBS Report was someone, also in the very early years, had a Pallid Cuckoo observation on the ninth day of the month and for some odd reason put a 9 on the GBS chart (instead of 1) and it was entered as such. This was found, (I think also not by me), only after The GBS Report was published. That is two known accidental errors in 54165 count data input entries that I failed to pick in proof reading those hundreds of GBS charts.

It is possible that these two have been fixed.

Philip