canberrabirds

bat resources

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: bat resources
From: "calyptorhynchus ." <>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:02:23 +0000
I was a bit cryptic about my request for bat resources this morning. And thanks for all the responses.

The reason I wanted silhouettes is that this morning I saw a bat down on Hughes Oval that had a very distinctive shape. Roughly like this sketch.

I realise that apart from a few insectivorous spp which have different colours (like the Yellow-bellied Sheathtail Bat) or have long ears or whatever, they are difficult to identify in flight. But the fact that this bat had its hands pushed so far forward made a very distinctive shape and I thought 'Ha, Common Bent-wing Bat', but on consulting the Oxford guide to Australian Mammals one of the few flight silhouettes was this sp and it doesn't have prominent forward-pushed hands (so I don't know why it's called Bent-wing). Any suggestions from my silhouette?

cheers

John Leonard