canberrabirds

Pelican feeding on Gambusia holbrooki

To: 'Con Boekel' <>
Subject: Pelican feeding on Gambusia holbrooki
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 11:45:17 +0000

Thanks for that. This is probably a trivial response and may be wrong. If the beak capacity of the Australian Pelican, at around 13 litres, is the largest for any species in the world that does not necessarily mean that they use full capacity each time. I recall seeing them at the Murray River locks many years ago, catching fish as they spewed over the locks. So the only water included was a small amount of splash water and these were big fish, I guess carp.

Philip