canberrabirds

Pacific swift me too

To: 'Philip Veerman' <>, 'Tony and Tash Manderson' <>, 'canberrabirds chatline' <>
Subject: Pacific swift me too
From: Sue Beatty <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 03:57:34 +0000

Last night I went to Waniassa Hills PS to see if I could find the Musk Lorikeet reported there by Christine the previous evening. I did at least find a treefull of Rainbow Lorikeets about a block away from the schoolground, and was about to give up when a lot of things that looked (in silhouette) like slim-winged, overgrown Swallows zoomed overhead going NW. Luckily more kept coming until I collected my wits and could see through the binoculars that they had bright white rumps. Just as exciting as a Musk Lorikeet! Fork-tailed (or Pacific) Swifts weren’t even on my radar as something to look out for! They are now though, so next time I’ll try to count them as well and look out for needletails.

Cheers,

Sue