canberrabirds

Dollarbird family at my home

To: 'Cog line' <>
Subject: Dollarbird family at my home
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 10:21:48 +0000
Following on the below, I was in my yard at 8 pm today raking up leaves, etc
for the green waste collection tomorrow. Competing for noise with the baby
galahs begging, I heard a similar but different rattling call. A quick check
revealed what I thought, a Dollarbird, then another and then more. They were
flying and following around and perching on the trees and powerlines in
front of my house. Stayed around for long enough for me to go inside and get
the binoculars and have a good watch and even introduce them to my neighbour
and tell the basics about them. It was an adult pair with three young. The
parents very successfully catching flying insects in the diminishing light
and feeding the 3 young. Since my message below, I thought it odd to have
had two observations. From this, it is very suggestive that they have bred
nearby. Then I had to go inside, I suspect they will roost here overnight.

The GBS Report says: Breeding records have also declined (11 in the first 9
years, compared with 7 in the last 12 years). No GBS nest records, only
dependent young from late December peaking in January and the last in early
March.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Philip Veerman