canberrabirds

Red-rumped Parrots

To: COG List <>
Subject: Red-rumped Parrots
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 19:47:03 +0000
In the 11 years we have lived at Carwoola I have only recorded a single Red-rumped Parrot in my GBS site before this month.  They are common on the Hoskinstown Plain but I have never seen them in the open paddocks at the top of our block or along the roads..

Two weeks ago a flock of 4 birds flew over my GBS site and were duly recorded.  Since then I have heard or seen up to 6 birds more or less daily.  They are both perching on trees and feeding on the ground.  I presume that part of the reason they have appeared is as a result of the fire opening up the vegetation (the Kunzea is about 20cm high rather than 1.5m).  However this doesn't explain why I haven't seen them in the top paddock.  Perhaps the fire has stimulated a more attractive grass species to grow, and now seed?