canberrabirds

Nest and Egg Identification

To: Graeme Clifton <>, COG List <>
Subject: Nest and Egg Identification
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 07:02:52 +0000
Graeme, the reference I actually prefer is in the back half of Morecombe’s field guide as it gives very helpful drawings of nest and eggs together.

That for the Silvereye would fit your description as like the Yellow-faced HE’s the nest is suspended from the rim (its very “fine and dainty” – you can often see-through it in my experience) and has blue eggs.   The orchard situation would also support the Silvereye.  They are also very quiet nesters and you often only find the nest when the tree/bush loses its leaves long after the breeding cycle has finished.

Regards

Jack Holland

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:33 PM
Subject: [canberrabirds] Nest and Egg Identification

This email is an attempt to drag several of you away from your fixation with Koels.

I have discovered a nest with 3 recently laid blue/green eggs in our orchard.  The nest looks very similar to a Yellow Faced Honeyeaters nest but Beruldsen's book indicates its eggs are pinkish white.

I have eliminated Glossy Ibis, Blackbird, Starling and Black Swan, which all may have bluish eggs, for various reasons.

My best guess is Silvereye.  Any other opinions/ideas?

Graeme Clifton
Carwoola