canberrabirds

Backyard Bird of the Year (so Far)

To: 'Jack and Andrea Holland' <>, 'Geoffrey Dabb' <>, "" <>
Subject: Backyard Bird of the Year (so Far)
From: Dr David Rosalky <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 08:39:36 +0000

The koels around my house have been very visible and audible for some months.  But there has been a change in the past week.  The female has disappeared and the male is making the KO-EL call more than was the case earlier.  I suspect a lost partner.

Despite the apparent koel breeding behaviours I have been observing, I have no evidence locally of young koels.  The nearby Magpie Lark nest produced a ML, not a koel, and the RWBs have been feeding dependent RWBs.

David Rosalky