canberrabirds

Interesting Observations in Gungahlin

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Interesting Observations in Gungahlin
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 01:56:56 +0000
Hi All,

The Brown Goshawk juveniles continue to do well at Mulligan's... one still seems more advanced and active than the other. I watched them a couple of days ago for a few minutes during which time one remained perched in virtually the same spot and the other was busy flying and upsetting the flycatchers each time it landed in their tree (or any tree ...).

I've been watching a pair of Red-capped Robins in the vicinity of Yerrabi Pond for around a month .. visiting  once or twice a week. Initially I fist saw the two birds - a plain bird (female) and a male in immature plumage. I went back a couple of days later and spotted a juvenile that was being fed by the male. During my visits, after the first week, I didn't see the female again until a few days ago. Each visit I saw the male and juvenile.

On Dec 24 I saw the male and female only. Yesterday I saw the two parents with a juvenile, but definitely a new one, so they have bred a second time, very soon after the first. Fascinating stuff for me and thought others may find it interesting too. It is probably common behaviour but it's not often that we get to see the same pair with successive broods. I'm not absolutely sure that there's only one juvenile this time, but I don't like to hang around for too long.

There are photos of the first juvenile and adults on Flickr (Nov 27 & 29, Dec 1 & 6) and photos of the new juvenile taken yesterday.

Photos of the goshawks and robins  on Flickr ... for anyone interested  ... m("N08/","//www.flickr.com/photos/140414659");"> https:

Cheers
Julie

--