canberrabirds

VOI also theft CBR Railway Museum 26.12.2017

To: "" <>
Subject: VOI also theft CBR Railway Museum 26.12.2017
From: kym bradley <>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 22:37:06 +0000

Canberra Railway Museum Update:
Over the Christmas Break our volunteers were distressed to find that the Museum site has been the target of thieves. Unknown persons were disturbed onsite yesterday (26th December) removing components that were stored in locked shipping containers on site. Unfortunately these people fled before any ID could be made.
Most distressingly, they have taken a number of priceless parts of Historic 1878 built steam locomotive 1210 which had been disassembled for restoration prior to the Museums closure in 2016.
To say that the loss of these components is a tragedy is an understatement. Being over 139 years of age 1210 is of particular importance to Canberra as it is the locomotive that hauled the first train into the Nation’s Capital in 1914. It was preserved as an operating exhibit which gave much love to many of Canberra’s Families through popular tourist train operations to Bungendore and Michelago. The parts taken cannot easily be replaced and make the job of restoring the locomotive harder.
We ask that anyone that has any information regarding this theft to get in touch with us via the Facebook page as soon as possible.
We also ask that people share this post in as many Canberra based groups as possible. Most likely the parts have been taken for their scrap metal value so we will also be in contact with the local scrap metal dealers.
Attached are pictures detailing what we believe has gone missing.

Update: The car pictured below was spotted around the Museum on the day prior and on the day of the theft. We believe those in the car may be able to assist police with their enquiries. If anyone recognises the car, could they please get in contact with us via the Facebook page so we can put you in touch with the Police

Driver is aged about 40, wearing a blueish cap with light coloured logo on front, passenger is early to mid 20's, shoulder length curly / wavy hair. This image can be enhanced and there should be people on FB who can do this for you. Its clear they have targeted soft metals as these can be melted down into other shapes and so do not get reported as much as they should.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lubba/27563095159/in/dateposted/