canberrabirds

Another Koel encounter

To: "" <>
Subject: Another Koel encounter
From: Dr David Rosalky <>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 09:49:01 +0000

A story:

A few days ago, when I was doing my GBS count, I heard strange sounds in a low thick bush – no more than a metre off the ground.  I have never heard those sounds before as far as I can remember.  I tried to peer into the bushes and to move them to flush the perpetrator but no luck.

Tonight, just after 8pm, I heard a female Koel call once, close to the house, so I hot-footed it outside to inspect.  Up in the cedar where they have been roosting, or loafing, I saw the male which then flew off.  I followed its flight a few doors down the road and saw movement in a tree which turned out to be the female.  She spooked as I approached and flew straight into the same low bush I had been observing the other day.  As I went close to observe, I heard what I could only describe as a sequence of yelping calls, not like anything I have heard before – some sort of alarm response.  I tried my male-call whistle and got movement in the bushes but in the crepuscular gloom, I couldn’t be sure if I had seen the male or the female or both.

So perhaps the low bush is some sort of roosting site.

I am not sure what it is that I am observing but it is interesting and a different experience from the loud calls and lots of chasing around that one usually observes.

David Rosalky