canberrabirds

Canberra becoming superb parrot central for not-so-superb reasons - ABC

To: Janet Russell <>
Subject: Canberra becoming superb parrot central for not-so-superb reasons - ABC News Canberra becoming superb parrot central for not-so-superb reasons - ABC News
From: David Rees <>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 03:32:28 +0000
Janet

Think we need to design and trial nest boxes to help get over issue with expected loss of mature trees with holes in them. This loss is going to happen anyway due to longterm  lack of recruitment of trees of hole producing age in the landscape in general.  It is made worse by development pressures.

These birds have no problems foraging in suburban environments, along with the Red Rumps and Eastern Rosellas.  Need to get box design right to minimise use by Indian mynas etc.   I know they are bigger,but I have seen success with nest boxes with Red-tailed Blacks in Perth and the Kaka in NZ.

David

Canberra becoming superb parrot central for not-so-superb reasons - ABC News
Canberra becoming superb parrot central for not-so-superb reasons - ABC News

For your interest.

https://apple.news/A6fRcyp0BQpi3BxIeYBAjZQ