canberrabirds

Eastern Koels in Garden

To: 'Julie Clark' <>, 'COG Chatline' <>
Subject: Eastern Koels in Garden
From: Dr David Rosalky <>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 04:32:27 +0000

The pair of koels at my place is frequently visible and they seem to perch on exactly the same branches of next door’s cedar on repeated occasions.

A couple of interesting observations have emerged.  When the pair separated by about 30 metres, they each made little quiet contact noises which I would not have recognised had I not seen the prior behaviours.  As well as I could discern, the two sexes had different contact noises.

The other observation is that when the male was calling from this visible vantage point, I attempted to whistle the male’s call with the result that both birds reacted and, in each case, the male flew off in the same direction each time.

David Rosalky