canberrabirds

Magpie and Currawon versus young fox

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Magpie and Currawon versus young fox
From: Jean Casburn <>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 03:57:24 +0000

At  5.45am this morning I was awakened by the sounds of what I thought were two Magpie play fighting.  Eventually curiosity got the better of me and I looked out my window to find a very unconcerned young fox looking at me while ducking the onslaught but continuing to hunt for creatures of some sort.

  It was necessary to don dressing gown and chase the fox which finally sat on the back corner of the fence.  I then got a  broom handle and chased further until the fox had left the garden.  Bird warnings were still occurring along the side of the house next door and then in the front of my house.  Magpie attack continuing. Again I raced out the front and the fox hid under a car across the road and finally sloped off.

Now I know what previously ate a Blackbird and a Red-wattlebird in my garden – only a few feathers were left!

Jean