canberrabirds

Mulligan's Update

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Mulligan's Update
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 10:25:39 +0000
Hi All,

Mulligan's has been as interesting as usual the past couple of weeks.

My highlights:
  • 4 echidnas together ... not sure if this was part of the mating process or not ... 4 in a row .. possibly males following a female but I have no real knowledge of echidna behaviour at all
  • flame robins have been present for the past 2 or more weeks. I have seen up to six at a time, but different combinations each time. In total I've seen 2 adult males, 5 brown birds and 1 (possibly 2) immature males ... 8 or more birds. Prior to this I had only ever seen flame robins on about 3 occasions and  never an adult male. First time I've seen an immature Flame Robin anywhere.
  • Bush Stone-curlew sightings have decreased, but I have had two sightings in two weeks. The last was of two birds on Tuesday .... D6 (female) and another, but haven't been able to ID the second bird as yet.
  • Plenty of small birds - scarlet robins, speckled warblers, thornbills (all 5 as David reported), weebills, varied sittellas, brown-headed honeyeaters, pardalotes etc....
  • Also, a few grey currawongs around .... a sighting I always enjoy ..

Photos on Flickr ....

(also Instagram...)

--
Julie Clark