canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Re: An unexpected change to eBird

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Re: An unexpected change to eBird
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:09:46 +0000

See the note to the recent changes made to the Birdlife Australia list (WLAB).  Variations in hyphening practice can be expected in English group names of different species.

<< The 1978 recommendations strongly advocated the use of hyphens, and followed the American Ornithologists’ Union in capitalising the first letter of the second component in species within or allied to the group, but not otherwise.  Unfortunately that rule has not been universally accepted and some authorities expressly oppose it.  In accordance with its own rule the IOC list (less keen on hyphens) now uses ‘Torresian Imperial Pigeon’ (no hyphen).  The BLI/HBW list, in accordance with its own recently stated rule, uses ‘Torresian Imperial-pigeon’ (no capital ‘P’) -  similarly with Black-cockatoo etc.. >>