canberrabirds

Fwd: [canberrabirds] Songs of Flame Robins

To: COG List <>
Subject: Fwd: [canberrabirds] Songs of Flame Robins
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 04:29:16 +0000
I thought this message from Mark was interesting.  My direct answer to him was that I was not all certain but had assumed that by this stage of their life cycle all male birds would have acquired adult plumage.  According to HANZAB, "It ain't necessarily so"!
  • They fledge in juvenile plumage.
  • A moult into an immature plumage occurs within a few months of fledging.
  • A first complete moult occurs at the end of their first year (or early in the second) which I would take to be about now;
  • Most males adopt adult plumage with this moult; but
  • Some only go into adult plumage with the second complete moult.
Thus it is possible that some of the brown birds around now haven't had their first complete moult while others are waiting for the second complete moult to get orange but are still interested in attracting mates and as Mark notes can breed if they get lucky.

Given that song has been going on continuously for about 3 weeks in the same areas, as David McDonald has suggested it would certainly meet the requirements for eBird breeding code T Territory held for 7+ days  which is rated as a Probable indicator of breeding.  This puts it above code C Courtship, Display or Copulation but below (ie less likely as an indicator) carrying nest material or nest building.