canberrabirds

Apparent display behaviour of Australian Ravens

To: "" <>
Subject: Apparent display behaviour of Australian Ravens
From: Dr David Rosalky <>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 12:09:20 +0000

I observed a pair of A. Ravens performing what looked to me like a mating display but I can find no such reference in the ample notes contained in HANZAB.

Both birds had white eyes, so I believe that they were both mature birds.  The birds were both on the ground (in fact in the middle of the road).  One bird fed the other placing food in the other’s bill.  The recipient of the food lowered its body and quivered outstretched wings.  Neither bird made any calls or other sounds that I could discern.  This went on for about 30 seconds after which the birds separated and carried on with foraging along the edge of the road.

I can’t think what other behaviour this might have indicated.  I once saw P. Currawongs doing something similar, in that the female bird lowered its body and quivered its wings.  But this led immediately to the male joining the female and copulation ensued.

Any ideas what the behaviour might have been?

David Rosalky