canberrabirds

Please stay away from the Little Eagle Nest trees

To: "" <>
Subject: Please stay away from the Little Eagle Nest trees
From: Don Fletcher <>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 04:48:17 +0000

I have been emailed about asking people to avoid disturbing Little Eagle nests.  The research group I have been speaking for have already put signs on the three most likely Little Eagle nest trees in the ACT asking people to remain 100m distant (a greater distance would be more appropriate in my personal opinion).  Now that at least two pairs have been seen in the vicinity of their nests that they used last year, the most sensitive time is from now until hatching, i.e. when the birds are display flighting, prospecting for nest locations, courting, mating, repairing nests and up to at least the first week after laying.  Once the eggs have hatched the adults are probably less likely to abandon.

Considering the small number of known active Little Eagle nests in the ACT region (four in the ACT last year, of which two succeeded, one failed, and the outcome at the fourth was uncertain) the main message for bird observers and photographers should be that in this case ‘conservation trumps pictures’!  So please minimise disturbance.

There is a view (and established practice) that the nest locations should not be revealed. That makes it hard to warn people which areas to avoid disturbing inadvertently.  However the Strathnairn (aka Riverview) nest is well known. It is in the vicinity of the Strathnairn Arts Gallery.  By all means visit the gallery (of course) but avoid the paddocks between the gallery and Stockdill Drive.  Likewise the Campbell Park nest is well known, on the right side of Northcott Drive, half way along to the Defence offices.  Please avoid disturbing both those pairs of eagles.  The other nests are in more obscure locations where visitors tend to be noticed, which is part of their protection, so I will not give details of those.

I will be away for the next few weeks.  Michael Mulvaney is the best contact,

Thanks!

Don Fletcher

0428 48 9990