canberrabirds

Skinks as a food resource in winter

To: Wallaces <>, Canberra birds <>
Subject: Skinks as a food resource in winter
From: Damian Lettoof <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 10:41:26 +0000
Hey Steve,

Sorry for the late reply (been enjoying Perth). The skinks are a Lamropholis species I'm yet see which is the dominant species in Canberra. They certainly are active over the winter of their habitat is open enough to allow basking. At such a small size they do not need much sun to reach their optimal body temp ~28-32 degrees (I'm a herpetologist recently become birder).

This is interesting if you've notice certain bird species switch to a skink diet over winter. What would they be eating during the warmer months as small reptile activity is certainly higher then as well?

Cheers,

Damian

- sent from iPhone