canberrabirds

Gooroo South woodland survey 18.6.17

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Gooroo South woodland survey 18.6.17
From: Steve Holliday <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 06:52:29 +0000

Prue and I did our winter survey this morning, in cool but sunny conditions. Birding was very slow at most sites - we did eventually total 36 species although just 24 of these were recorded during our 10 minutes counts – probably an all time low.

Only a single small mixed flock was found, at site 2, which included Brown, Striated and Buff-rumped Thornbills, our only Golden Whistler for the morning, Weebills and Superb Fairy-Wrens. A Yellow Thornbill (uncommon in the reserve) was also heard here after survey time. Elsewhere there was a White-throated Treecreeper calling at site 5 – a species that is only rarely recorded in our surveys, Scarlet Robins in a few places, and a couple of sightings of Wedge-tailed Eagles. A few species were in larger numbers than usual, Starlings (150+), Red-rumped Parrots (30+) and Welcome Swallows (50+). The highlight was a Hobby attacking Starlings perched in a large Blakely’s Red Gum, it managed to grab one but the Starling escaped a few seconds later.

Other fauna included 2 Wallaroos and 2 Swamp Wallabies at site 2, Common Froglet and Verreaux’s Tree Frog calling, and an unseasonal butterfly – a fresh-looking Spotted Jezebel.

Steve