canberrabirds

Thoughts on the 2 local ravens (1)

To: "" <>
Subject: Thoughts on the 2 local ravens (1)
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 08:07:43 +0000

This is prompted by a close look at the recent ‘Australian Bird Guide’.  With respect to head/neck features of the Australian Raven, this says:

<< obvious long throat hackles … forming a beard reaching upper breast, especially when expanded while calling.  Ad. … iris white with pale blue inner ring:  Crown rather flat ; bill long and heavy; black bare skin on base of lower mandible extends back to the sides of the chin forming a gular pouch.  >>

The illustrations seem to me to be quite good in showing the difference from the Little Raven (discussed in a second message), without creating unrealistic caricatures in order to bring out the differences.  However there is an annotation:

<< bare rectangular skin patch on side of chin  >>

A slightly greyish patch can just be discerned in the illustrations that might be intended to represent bare skin.  I had not myself noticed this in birds in the field, so I went through a few photos.  I found a couple where it can be seen, but I believe it is generally obscured by feathers, so I wonder about its usefulness as a field mark.  I would not myself describe it as ‘rectangular’.

The bills are good in ABG, showing the A Rav as slightly but distinctly thicker from the side.  The Nicholas Day illustrations in HANZAB show the A Rav bills as longer, but no thicker than the Little Raven.  Head shape is good though.