canberrabirds

Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Aging Great Crested Grebes

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Aging Great Crested Grebes
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 07:21:03 +0000

Steve, Geoffrey

In terms of success rate, this was difficult to assess at the time. The reason is that the bird swallowed its prey at a lightning speed. At times I suspected it had caught and swallowed prey but could not be certain.

Having hand-caught Weatherloach (because I am interested in our fish fauna) I can make the observation that they don't just sit in the open. They wedge themselves in crevices, yabbie holes and in tight spaces between vegetation stems. Recently on the Chatline I made the observation that this bird may be the first to learn how to hunt Weatherloach effectively. Not only did I notice it clambering around tangles of branches and twigs, it also, at times, appeared to be almost burrowing after Weatherloach, with persistent and strong paddling with downwards force while (I assume) the beak was in contact with the substrate, pressing after Weatherloach.

I remind readers that it is illegal to use Weatherloach as live bait and/or to translocate them. They eat fish eggs and they may be vectors for fish diseases that threaten native species.

regards

Con