canberrabirds

ACT reports/records of Magpie Goose ?

To: 'John Bundock' <>, "'David McDonald (personal)'" <>, 'CanberraBirds' <>, Mark Clayton <>
Subject: ACT reports/records of Magpie Goose ?
From: Don Fletcher <>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 02:12:47 +0000
Hi David, John, Mark and all

An interesting check on the reliability of historical records results from
ongoing work by Fred Ford who has collated specimens and information on
sub-fossil remains from local caves, particularly those remains carbon dated to
times since European settlement.  In short, I think there tends to be great
over-reliance on historical records.  In particular the omission of a species
from the record means little.  A good example is the Tasmanian Long-tailed
Mouse classified by zoologists as a Tasmanian endemic based on historical
records, yet here it is, far from Tasmania, being taken into these caves by owl
species which are also under-represented in the historical record.  I suggest
you consider records from the south east region as being indicative of what
probably occurred in the ACT and make judgments based on bioregions.  So in
regard to Magpie Geese, when Europeans arrived, there were reported to be
flocks of thousands in wetlands along the Victorian coastline, eg around Sale,
so it is likely that small groups were occasionally found in the higher, more
inland area that would become the future ACT, whether or not there are any
historical records.

As for real records, I'm sorry I have no more detail on the following story,
but I very vaguely remember that when I worked for ACT Parks and Conservation,
one day I received two phonecalls about a public report of four Magpie Geese
seen flying over Queanbeyan. I think one of the phonecalls might have been from
Mark Clayton (copied into this reply).   I phoned the PCS staff at Googong to
ask them to have a look but they had not seen any Magpie Geese.  I guess this
might have been in the 1980 or early 1990s.   Perhaps the birds were really
swans but if anyone managed to validate the report, perhaps the observation is
in the COG records somewhere.

cheers

Don Fletcher
0428 48 9990