canberrabirds

Mother of All Flyways

To: "" <>
Subject: Mother of All Flyways
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 06:56:38 +0000

Visiting Lindsay this morning I estimated several hundred honeyeaters flew over his house in the 15 minutes we were standing there.  This flyway has been discussed in the past but there are a few points that might be recalled.  First, Lindsay has been reporting the regular use of it over several years.  Secondly, it is quite narrow the front being about 100m wide, and the main concentration (which passes over Lindsay’s house) being narrower than that.  The route is dictated by creeklines and  isolated trees, mainly exotics.   Lindsay has previously verified the route, basically  from the Murrumbidgee to the Queanbeyan River.  On some days several  thousands of honeyeaters use this one flyway.  A good vantage point is at the edge of the housing where there is a good view of the willows used as a staging and gathering point.  This morning I would estimate 20-30% were White-naped.  In the below snap 57 honeyeaters can be counted, only part of one wave, these  having just sprung up from the foliage.  There was a succession of such squadrons during the late morning.