canberrabirds

Paradise Shelduck flying inverted (off topic)

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Paradise Shelduck flying inverted (off topic)
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 23:12:29 +0000
We recently visited NZ for a family wedding and were privileged to get
some good views of Paradise Shelduck.  Several of you got views of the
male (vagrant?) on the coast down near Nowra recently. They have
beautiful detail in the plumage. The attached image, which is of poor
quality, shows something I have yet to see in any other duck. There are
three birds. The bird in front is a female. The two behind her are
males. The three had been engaged in a very, very rapid descent towards
a large flock gathered in a dairy farm paddock. The female is upside
down. Did she lose control? Was it deliberate?

regards

Con