canberrabirds

Shelduck

To: Philip Veerman <>, 'Canberra Birds' <>
Subject: Shelduck
From: Peter S Cranston <>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 22:00:45 +0000

As a child in UK I read or was told that the name shelduck derived from massed moulting grounds across the Channel - the estuary of the Scheldte / Schelde River.  Wiki does not confirm this

The Schelde estuary is now industrial and the major moult site (for hundred thousand +ducks) is on the Wadden Sea further north in Germany.