canberrabirds

Flame Robin

To: COG List <>
Subject: Flame Robin
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 23:45:00 +0000
I just heard a strange but very melodious song near our house so went tracking.  It turned out to be a male Flame Robin sitting in one off the many burnt out eucalypts singing his heart out.

Although they travel around the Plain in flocks of 10+ in Winter, its the first one I have seen on our block, let alone my GBS site, in the 10+ years we've been living here.  It does call to mind the large number seen on Warks Rd after the 2003 fires and I wonder if the events of 17 February have opened up the bush and made it more attractive to them?